Friday, June 22, 2007

Review of Toby Keith's "Big Dog Daddy"

He's not only a country music superstar, he's also runs a record label (Show Dog Nashville) is a restauranteur, a developer, an actor and more. I'm talking about Norman resident Toby Keith and he's got a great new album out called "Big Dog Daddy." Check out my review that ran in The Norman Transcript today ...

By Andrew W. Griffin
Pop Writer
The Norman Transcript
Posted: June 22, 2007

Listening to Toby Keith’s latest album, “Big Dog Daddy,” I’m reminded why I’ve always enjoyed this shrewd, cornball Cleveland County resident for so many years.
First, he’s got charisma. He knows what his listeners like and he keeps on giving it to them. He’s got a wicked sense of humor as well as a golden ear when it comes to writing and performing. Remember last year’s “A Little Too Late”? That was one of the best country-pop tunes I’ve heard in years.
Another reason I’ve admired this Oklahoma native is that he’s a man of serious convictions. In fact, that aspect of his personality plays a major role in one of “Big Dog Daddy”’s strongest tracks; “Love Me If You Can.”
Not one to beat around the bush, Keith kicks off the song, framed as a country ballad in the vein of “My List,” with this:
Sometimes think that war is necessary / Every night I pray peace on Earth / I hand out my dollars to the homeless / But believe that every able soul should work.”
Continuing, into the chorus, he sings:
I’m a man of my convictions / Call me wrong, call me right / But I bring my better angels to every fight / You may not like where I’m goin’ / But you sure know where I stand / Hate me if you want to, Love me if you can.”
So, Keith, vilified on the left for his patriotic, outspoken nature and stance on the military response to 9/11 is also bugged by the right for not totally towing the GOP line. Keith wants to send the message that when it comes to taking a stand, he won’t be sticking his finger in the wind to see which way it’s blowin’.
He still knows a good country ballad when he sees it, as is evidenced in the Keith and Scotty Emerick-penned track “I Know She Hung the Moon.” A strong contender for a radio single, if you ask me.
One of Keith’s best performances on the new album is his cover of “White Rose,” written by Canadian alt-country singer-songwriter Fred Eaglesmith.
With it’s melancholy, train song feel, “White Rose” is about a filling station in a small town that falls prey to time, the elements and that tricky thing known as “progress.” Keith really sinks his teeth into this tune and shows listeners that he is capable of singing songs that fans of alt-country and Americana music can appreciate.
Everyone from big-money oilmen to self-proclaimed “oil-field trash” such as Keith himself are bound to dig the insanely catchy and almost child-like track “Pump Jack.”
Sure, there are plenty of hook-laden-yet-lightweight country-pop fare here. “High Maintenance Woman” will stay in your ear for days on end, while “Get My Drink On” is “Get Drunk and Be Somebody” Pt. II. And then there’s the silly title track, with the 1977-era female backup singers. I thought I was listening to Jerry Reed or something.
All in all, “Big Dog Daddy” is pretty consistent and musically appealing. It seems as though Toby Keith, who produced the album, is getting comfortable in his new role leading a record label (Show Dog Nashville), running a restaurant chain ( I Love This Bar & Grill) and acting in movies on the side (“Broken Bridges”). The man is amazing and still manages to make great music. Here’s to hoping he brings himself and the band to the Ford Center for a proper concert before the end of the year.
B+


No comments: